Château de Clos de Vougeot ~~
On our second day in Burgundy, we visited “Clos de Vougeot,” a wall-enclosed vineyard in the region. It was named after the River Vouge, which is actually just a stream separating the village Vougeot from Chambolle-Musigny. The Clos de Vougeot vineyard was created by Cistercian monks of Cîteaux Abbey. The Château de Clos de Vougeot, located inside the wall, was added in 1551 by rebuilding and enlarging a small chapel and other existing buildings at the site. Since 1945, it has served as headquarters of the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin, an exclusive club of Burgundy wine enthusiasts. As in most chateaus, there is a museum of all things wine and an ongoing art exhibit, which seems to be something that happens this time of the year. The trip through Burgundy country provided some beautiful views of other vineyards and chateaus.