For Patty Moped’s Quiet Moment
For Patty Moped’s Quiet Moment
For Tina Schell’s Leading Lines Challenge
The Trees of Los Angeles
1. Jacarandas – There are lots of Jacaranda trees in L.A. Most of them are Jacaranda mimosifolia, one of 49 different types of flowering jacaranda trees. The Mimosifolia is a sub-tropical tree native to south-central South America. They can be found all over Los Angeles and typically bloom in May/June.
2. The Coastal Coral tree is the official tree of the city of Los Angeles, California. This tree is a tropical that has a spreading multiple trunk habit that often spans or exceeds its height, which may reach fifty feet. The tree is prized in gardens for its beautiful orange summer flowers.
3. Australian Moreton Fig trees can be found all over Los Angeles. The huge fig tree in the photo below is in a central location in Beverly Hills. It was planted by an Australian in the 19th century.
4. Tipuana Tipu, also known as Tipa, Rosewood and Pride of Bolivia, is a South American tree found all around Los Angeles. They can grow as high as 50 to 70 feet tall by over 100 feet wide. Our very own Tipa (below) is a good example of that, completely dwarfing our house. It is close to 100-years-old.
5. Eucaliptus Trees are indigenous to Tasmania and southeastern Australia, but are very common in Los Angeles. California is best acquainted with Eucalyptus Globulus, also known as the blue gum. The tree is instantly recognizable by its minty scent.
6. Palm Trees – Last but certainly not least, Palm Trees are the quintessential symbols of Los Angeles.. California’s eighteenth century Franciscan missionaries were the first to plant palms ornamentally. But it was not until Southern California’s turn-of-the-twentieth-century gardening craze that the region’s leisure class introduced the palm as the region’s preeminent decorative plant. Providing neither shade nor marketable fruit, the palm was entirely ornamental. They are both loved and hated by the locals.
In response to Lens-Artists photo challenge: Trees
This week, Leya at Lens-Artists invited us to share our interpretation of the word Delicate. I immediately thought about nature, flowers, birds, bees, and fine pieces of art, like the tiny relics recovered from the Acropolis below.
Santorini is the largest island of a small, circular archipelago, which bears the same name and is the remnant of a volcanic caldera. It’s part of the Cyclades islands. It is also one of the most beautiful islands in Greece. We stayed in the village of Imerovigli, the highest point of the caldera edge, but visited other villages on the island: Fira, the capital: Oia, and Megalochori. All stunning in their own way.
Los Angeles is a sprawling city, with numerous districts and neighborhoods. I live on the so-called Westside area, which includes Brentwood, West LA, West Hollywood, Westwood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Venice, Pacific Palisades, and Century City among several other neighborhoods. We live in Brentwood but Santa Monica, Westwood, Venice and Century City are part of what I would call my extended neighborhood. Almost everything I do is in these neighborhoods, especially Santa Monica, which happens to be right next to Brentwood. Here are some of my favorite places in my neck of the woods.
For Tina Shell’s Lens-Artists Challenge #36 – Around the Neighborhood
Less is not enough.
photography, poetry, paintings
And then I stop and sit and eat.
Jy is wat jy dink - nie wat jy dink jy is nie. Dit help soms om hardop te lag vir wat jy dink of dink jy is.
To See a World in a Grain of Sand...
Creative Exploration in Words and Pictures
One Photo, One Story at a Time
Street | Urban | Travel | Photography by Marcus Puschmann
Focus Hocus Pocus
Fun, Fitness & Photography
capturing memories one moment at a time
Sharing a world of joy with photos and words
Gardens Plants Travel
Photography at its most candid
by Neil Williamson
A photographer's view of the world - words and images to inspire your travels and your dreams
Fotografía y algo más...
Wildlife photography along the urban edge
Colouring by touch : altering by thought : fed by feeding.
A daily selection of the best content published on WordPress, collected for you by humans who love to read.
Travel website featuring adventurous train journeys & travels in over 70 fantastic countries
My experiences in Italy and the world
Somewhere to play with image styles
An exploration in human being after decades of human doing.
Notes on Seeing, Reading & Writing, Living & Loving in The North
life, the universe and everything - in pictures
photographs on the street
Chris is an amateur photographer and blogger who just wanders around with a smartphone taking photos
The secret to having it all is believing that you do!
Documentary Photography, Street Photography, Photo Reportage, Black and White, film,
Words and Pictures from the Middle East & Balkans
Adventures in Photography
If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space